Thursday, April 14, 2011

tour of the airstream

I finally got a chance to take some *good* photos of the Airstream. It's a confined space, so these photos are as good as it gets.


upon entering


fold out couch on your right

fold out table in front of you

That couch fabric is sweeeet!

the view to your left

kitchen includes a stove, oven, sink, microwave & fridge (fridge pictured above)

bathroom includes shower, sink, toilet

the master bedroom
 



The Airstream model is a 25 foot Safari.
 


John searched and searched Craigslist and Ebay for all sorts of Airstreams. In his search, he looked at brand new models, gently-used models, and in-need-of-serious-rehab models. In the end, we decided two things:

  1. It could not be brand new and too beautiful. We plan on using our Airstream for camping, for gosh sakes. And we have two children that enjoy playing in dirt, mud, and water. For my own sanity, I can't have an Airstream that looks perfect.
  2. It needs to be in good condition and not need rehab. We are in the middle of a house renovation, and we simply don't have the time or energy (or money!!) to rehab an Airstream. It is supposed to be a way for us to get away from all the renovation madness...

In the long term, John and I think it would be so cool to renovate and trick-out the Airstream.

Like this.



If you are either a fan of Airstreams or if you are skeptical of Airstreams, you must check out this Airstream project (seen above.) You will be in awe of this Airstream.


Tell me: Are you fan of Airstreams or do you not understand the hype?

13 comments:

  1. Big Fan-Hubs has wanted one since we were first married to travel the U.S. I thought it was nuts at first, but love them now. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is surprisingly big! And, yes, that IS one sweet couch. I expect you will be keeping it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ My Beautiful Life~
    Over here, it was also my husband's idea at first... but he got me to come around. ;)

    @ Carrie~
    Yup, we're keeping the couch. Everything stays 'as is' right now. Honestly, I wouldn't care if grape juice got spilled on that -- that's the beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen one live. I like their shape and silver colour compared to regular campers. Can they be rented? We are planning a trip from Vancouver to San Diego in the next couple of years and a Airstream would be much cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Giulia~
    I would be shocked if they could not be rented. If they can't, you've just stumbled upon a great business venture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend has one and it got my husband and I thinking about how much fun it would be! They are SO cool! Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you know I am a big fan! Am so excited to see the interior, you're going to have a blast. I love the AS's with the rear bedroom, I wish our's had a rear bed. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Airstreams! And the tour of that dude's Airstream... wow. Seriously. Love that you guys got one for camping. Now I just wanna see where you're gonna park that baby...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am a big fan...and yes they can be rented. i know in santa cruz i found a campsite where they cost more to rent than a small cabin.
    new window treatments maybe? and a removable slipcover on the couch? just a thought....;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ elisa~
    Right now, it's being stored at an RV storage facility. But at $50 per month, we're looking into other options.

    There's no way we can park it on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ teresa~
    I'll be sure to enlist your help (for design ideas and your skillz!) when we decide to 'fix up' the interior. I've got to get the house done first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is too cool! What a fun way to getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every single time I see one on the road i get so excited! I'm really not much of a camper...my husband says my idea of camping is slow room service. BUT, having said that...I think if i ever were going to camp, an Airstream is the only way to go. My dearest friend has loved them for as long as I have known her, and that's my entire adult life...or, a very, very long time. So I think of her every time I see one, or a book about them, whatever. I look forward to reading your blog posts about your adventures. What wonderful memories you are creating for your family!

    ReplyDelete

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...